The Indiana Hoosiers (9-8, 4-6 B10) were back in Assembly Hall looking to get their conference record back to even as they faced off against the No. 12 Illinois fighting Illini (12-5, 8-3 B10). Indiana looked for a bounce-back win after falling to Rutgers at home last week.

Head coach Archie Miller kept the starting five the same despite the return of sophomore guard Trey Galloway. The usual five started as Al Durham, Armaan Franklin, Rob Phinisee, Trayce Jackson-Davis, and Race Thompson led the way for the Hoosiers to start.

Senior guard Al Durham got things started as he was able to knock down Indiana’s first shot attempt and poured in 8 points, including two threes, within the first four minutes.

IU led 12-8 at the first media timeout.

Trey Galloway made his first appearance in three weeks after suffering a lower back injury as he checked in at the 12:32 mark in the first half.

The big story early on in the contest for the Hoosiers was the play of freshman Galloway, Jordan Geronimo, Anthony Leal, and 5-star Khristian Lander. During a four minute stretch the four freshmen were all on the floor at the same time and were productive.

With just under eight minutes remaining the Hoosiers still led 24-19

Jackson-Davis recorder his fist field goal of the game at the 5:45 minute mark with a monstrous poster dunk on Illinois big man Kofi Cockburn.

IndianaHQ Shop - Indiana Tshirts, IU Hoosiers Apparel

Indiana ended the half on hitting their last three shots while Illinois missed their last four shots. The Cream and Crimson were led by Jackson-Davis with 12 while the Fighting Illini Ayo Dosunmu who had 10.

Indiana led at half 41-34

It took two minutes to get the scoring started for both teams in the second half and Armaan Franklin got things started for the Hoosiers with an elbow jump shot.

With just over 15 minutes remaining the Hoosiers lead had been cut to two as they led 45-43

Illinois took their first lead of the second half as Kofi Cockburn got his revenge of TJD with an and-one dunk that left IU speechless.

Indiana entered the bonus with 12 minutes left in the game and were able to take advantage of that down the stretch.

Both teams would go on to exchange dunks, free throws, three-point baskets, and then some more free throws.

Neither team was able to go on big scoring runs due to the ample number of foul calls in the first 12 minutes of half number two.

IU led 57-56 with 7:43 remaining.

Indiana’s lead grew to six points with just over four minutes remaining and that is when Trent Frazier came alive.

Frazier knocked down two straight threes and was then fouled shooting from long distance by freshman Khristian Lander. Frazier made two of three and pushed Illinois ahead by two points.

Illinois was plagued by fouled trouble and had two players foul out, including Dosunmu, with 2:36 remaining with the game tied at 66 a piece.

The game remained tied with 42.5 seconds remaining when Trent Frazier went to the line to give Illinois a two-point lead.

Indiana and Armaan Franklin tied the game up with 30 seconds remaining. Illinois had a chance to win but was unable to make a game-winning play.


Overtime looked a lot like a majority of the second half for the Hoosiers as they went scoreless for almost the entirety of additional time. IU’s first basket was scored with 7.2 seconds remaining with a Race Thompson Layup.

Indiana would go on to lose 75-71 and drop their second straight game.

Up next for IU is a home game against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Sunday February 7 at noon on Fox. The Hoosiers will be looking for their first win since defeating the Hawkeyes on January 21.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *