BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The Hoosiers will once again need to search for an offensive coordinator. Kalen DeBoer will return back to Fresno State in a new position of head coach. The news was announced Tuesday afternoon by Fresno State. The position opened up with the announcement of Jeff Tedford’s resignation due to health reasons.
Prior to his single year as the Hoosiers’ play caller, DeBoer spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons with the Bulldogs as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Fresno State accumulated a record of 22-6 during that time.
DeBoer replaced Mike DeBord as Indiana’s offensive coordinator for the 2019-2020 season, where he led the Hoosiers to become the number two total offense in the Big Ten.
At the moment, it is unclear if what Indiana will do about the OC position as they take on Tennessee in the 2020 TaxSlayer Gator Bowl on January 2.
“LEO Indiana” – Ultrasoft Tri-Blend T-Shirt$24.95 – $29.95
Kalen DeBoer’s offensive accomplishments at Indiana (2019 Season)
- Ranked 31 in the nation, second in the Big Ten in total offense (5,323 yards)
- Ranked 13 in the nation, second in the Big Ten in passing offense (3,704 yards)
- Ranked fourth in the Big Ten in pass efficiency (68.6% completion)
- Led quarterback Peyton Ramsey to become the 21st best in pass efficiency among FBS quarterbacks
- Ranked second in the Big Ten in average first downs per game (23.9 first downs)
- Ranked fourth in the Big Ten in third down conversions (48.2% conversion)
- Ranked second in the Big Ten in average time of possession (34:05 minutes per game)
Indiana is expected to be an interesting destination for up and coming offensive coordinators. In addition to the immediate case study of DeBoer, who used Bloomington as a platform for his trajectory, the Hoosiers have a number of offensive pieces that can be leveraged.
The Hoosiers have a filled quarterback room, which includes one of the most efficient passers in the nation this year Peyton Ramsey, a strong-armed Michael Penix Jr., and a capable transfer Jack Tuttle.
Among noteworthy offensive weapons, the Hoosiers will have a strong receiving core with the return of Whop Philyor and incoming WR Rashawn Williams, who is Indiana’s highest rated recruit in program history. Stevie Scott III, Ronnie Walker Jr., and Sampson James combined for over 1,200 yards of rushing offense.
“Indiana is Our State” – Ultrasoft Tri-Blend T-Shirt$24.95 – $27.95
Featured Photo: Indiana University Athletics